Thimphu (Altitude: 1,800 - 5,400m approx.)
Thimphu, the capital city, is a bustling town on the banks of the river Wang Chhu. It is home to the Bhutanese Royal Family, the Royal Government, and several foreign missions and development projects. The shape of the valley is likened to that of the deep skull with a winding crystal river that descends into Thimphu valley from the high mountain above. It is said that eight auspicious signs can be witnessed in the features of the valley.
Top 11 Interesting Facts about THIMPHU, Bhutan
- Thimphu is the Capital city of Bhutan. The nickname is “Palace in the sky”
- The city extends in a north-south direction on the west bank of the Thimphu river, which is known as the Wang Chuu
- Thimphu is home to approximately 100,000 inhabitants including the Royal family.
- It’s the only capital in the world without any traffic lights
- Thimphu is the storehouse of traditional Bhutanese art
- The Grand Thimphu Festival is held at Tashichodzong
- The stroll through the city is an opportunity to experience full ethnic diversity.
- It is an excellent place for sightseeing and hiking
- Traditional mud-rammed homes & modern architecture coexist in Thimphu.
- Thimphu Offers Bhutan’s best dining and nightlife
- Thimphu offers a variety of souvenirs to take back home
Here are the most popular tourist places to plan for while you are in Thimphu