Paro Rinpung Dzong is a large monastery and stronghold of the Kagyu school of Buddhism.
It translates as the Fortress on a heap of jewels. The approach to the Dzong is through a traditional covered bridge (called the Nemi Zam) . And then up to the paved stone path running alongside the imposing outer walls.
The location of Paro Rinpung dzong was handed to the Buddhist Lamas in the 15th century, where a modest temple was built. In the 17th century, the temple was granted to the Zhabdrung Ngawang Namgyel. He dismantled the existing construction and created the dzong that still stands today. In 1646, it was re-consecrated.
It is one of Bhutan's "tentative" sites on the UNESCO inclusion lists for future World Heritage Sites.
The valley's annual springtime religious festival, the Paro Tshechu, takes place at the courtyard of the Paro Dzong .
The Paro Rinpung Dzong is a fine example of Bhutanese architecture. The Dzong has no blueprints or use of nails . Its five storey central tower with outstanding wood work. There are a total of fourteen shrines and chapels in the dzong. However all of these are not open to the general public. Another exceptional feature is that the temple is built against the base of one of the eastern tower’s walls and the ceilings are adorned with beautiful Mandalas.
Paro Rinpung Dzong is used both for religious and administrative purposes.